Autumn is my season. Summer sunshine fades into cooler evenings and vivid colors paint everything in shades of gold, red, and orange. This time of year fosters a strong sense of nostalgia that I start longing for in early August. There are a few things I do to prepare and welcome the arrival of the season and hope they help you make your home feel more like fall.
Make your home feel like fall
1. Smell. Scent creates an impression that is hard to forget. 73% of people think aroma and smell matter most in the home during fall. During autumn I prefer to bring in the smells of pumpkin, burning leaves, sandalwood, and caramel. Nothing too sweet, so I normally have two fragrances to balance things out.
My current favorite is a firewood candle to mimic a real fireplace. The seductive dance of scent is lingering in my house and dancing in my nose.
2. Taste. The tastes of fall are spicier, earthier, and linger on the tongue. Flavors like cinnamon, ginger, sage, nutmeg, and pumpkin are found everywhere. My favorite thing to do is slice fresh ginger into a cup, add a green tea bag, and steep, with a drizzle of local honey to top it off. It is soothing and warm, the perfect indulgent treat after a long day.
3. Sight. Now is the time to invite the outdoors in. Don’t be afraid to bring autumn decorations into you home. I love pumpkins, gourds, and bowls of freshly picked apples. On the table by my front door, there is a vase that always holds a bouquet of seasonal flowers I refresh weekly during at the grocery store. Replace the wreath on your front door with a grapevine wreath filled with faux leaves.
4. Touch. Soft throws come out of the linen closet and drape the back of my sofa and rocking chair during cooler months. I curl up with a good book, my tea, and open the windows to enjoy the crisp breeze cooling my home. Even on days when it is 80 degrees in North Carolina the sight of the my knit blankets and throws remind me that my favorite days will be here soon.
5. Sound. Open the door or a window or take a walk. Listen to the birds sing, hear leaves crunch underfoot, and notice crisp breeze as it wafts its way through the trees.
How do you make your home feel like fall?
More articles about autumn:
Make Skype Part of Your Autumn Adventures: https://adailypinch.com/skype
Hygge: What is it and how do I do it? https://adailypinch.com/hygge
Spend the Day in Charlottesville, Virginia: https://adailypinch.com/spend-the-day-in-charlottesville-virginia